permaculture - [permaculture] Re: [Pc] Green Party- elections, politics, activism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Irwin <jwirwin@permaculture.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: [Pc] Green Party- elections, politics, activism
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:50:55 -0400

I've been watching this Green Party discussion with interest.
------Time for my 2 bits:   ;-)

I like the Green Party.  We just formed a group in our county &
its a nice small informal group - for now.

The Green Party is the only GROWING political party in the USA
and the only one with international connections.

With my background in history, I'd have to agree with anyone that
the Greens don't seem to stand a chance:

1) Without corporate donations (we don't accept them)
     Las Vegas might not even give us odds
2) The "Republicrats" do have a lock on the system that only
      billionaires seem to have an answer for.
3) Without more money & legal power, we may not get equal
      time for debates, interviews or news stories.

Also, just because we seem to be decent people who cooperate pretty
well right now, doesn't mean we won't change when we are much
larger and have more power.

Furthermore, I haven't read In distrust of movements by Wendell Berry,
but I'll probably concur.

Having said that,  here's why I'm still working away.

We have the 10 Key Values.

Ecological Wisdom,
Grassroots Democracy,
Social
Justice/Economic Opportunity,
NonViolence,
Decentralization,
Community-based Economics,
Feminism,
Respect for Diversity,
Personal/Global Responsbility,
Future Focus/Sustainability

What a platform!  The big parties have nothing like it!
Its not about money, charisma, or power - its about
the ISSUES.

I have noticed that when Permaculturists get together
there is almost no talk of national politics, (not until the
Bush administration & 9-11 anyway ) because we know
we are in agreement.  It is a joy to feel that kind of kinship.

I feel like that when I am with  Green Party folks, except
that we do discuss politics, because we have to.

It comes down to this:    We have to have hope & we have to
work for something.  The Green Party has the potential
to be a real catalyst for a better world.   It seems as good
a place as energy to put my energy.

Green is Good

John

Loren Davidson wrote:

At 09:56 PM 10/16/02 -0600, Tradingpost wrote:

>Wish I could agree, and I agree with Green ideals, but after a couple
>years working (or trying to) with both wings of the Greens, I've had to
>admit the fatal flaw in the whole third party thing. In our winner take
>all system, not proportional representation or parliamentary system,
>anyone running on a progressive agenda or left of center is always going
>to siphon off votes from the more progressive candidates in the major
>parties. There's just no getting around that. No third party has gained
>major party status in 140 years, and it isn't going to happen now.

Especially with people like you attempting to discourage it.

Voting Green gives me something positive I can do in an election, rather
than voting out of fear ("If I don't vote for X, Y will win and that would
be bad) or disgust.

>The most discouraging part though, to me, was trying to get them to
>support other organizations with publici!
>ty and networking, organizations that actively promote Green Party ideals
>in other ways than elections. They won't do it,

Examples, please?  If this is a systemic thing, rather than they just don't
support something that *you* feel they should, then it is something that we
Greens may need to address.  But keep in mind that each party has limits on
what they can/will address.

>  Other than passing paper resolutions against GMOs and pesticides,
> agricultural and rural issues aren't even on their agenda. They have no
> platform on agriculture or farmers' issues.

Such as?  I'd say that a commitment to sustainable agriculture is a
"platform."  And since the party isn't a monolithic entity, it's possible
that someone other than the person(s) you talked to may have more of a
"platform."  The social justice and sustainability issues are definitely
factors in ag here in California, and are being addressed by our Green
candidate for governor.

I appreciate that you feel you have good reason to be discouraged about
this...but by attempting to discourage others, you are doing the
Demopublicans' work for them.

Respectfully,

Loren

Loren Davidson        Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren@farwalker.com   http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334     ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"There is no key to the Universe. It was never locked." - www.nancybuttons.com