permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Green Party and forthcoming elections, Green politics, Green activism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Green Party and forthcoming elections, Green politics, Green activism
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:34:03 -0700

At 09:56 PM 10/16/02 -0600, Tradingpost wrote:

Wish I could agree, and I agree with Green ideals, but after a couple years working (or trying to) with both wings of the Greens, I've had to admit the fatal flaw in the whole third party thing. In our winner take all system, not proportional representation or parliamentary system, anyone running on a progressive agenda or left of center is always going to siphon off votes from the more progressive candidates in the major parties. There's just no getting around that. No third party has gained major party status in 140 years, and it isn't going to happen now.

Especially with people like you attempting to discourage it.

Voting Green gives me something positive I can do in an election, rather than voting out of fear ("If I don't vote for X, Y will win and that would be bad) or disgust.

The most discouraging part though, to me, was trying to get them to support other organizations with publici!
ty and networking, organizations that actively promote Green Party ideals in other ways than elections. They won't do it,

Examples, please? If this is a systemic thing, rather than they just don't support something that *you* feel they should, then it is something that we Greens may need to address. But keep in mind that each party has limits on what they can/will address.

Other than passing paper resolutions against GMOs and pesticides, agricultural and rural issues aren't even on their agenda. They have no platform on agriculture or farmers' issues.

Such as? I'd say that a commitment to sustainable agriculture is a "platform." And since the party isn't a monolithic entity, it's possible that someone other than the person(s) you talked to may have more of a "platform." The social justice and sustainability issues are definitely factors in ag here in California, and are being addressed by our Green candidate for governor.

I appreciate that you feel you have good reason to be discouraged about this...but by attempting to discourage others, you are doing the Demopublicans' work for them.

Respectfully,

Loren

Loren Davidson Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"There is no key to the Universe. It was never locked." - www.nancybuttons.com