permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for EcologicalR

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for EcologicalR
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:47:36 -0500

Hi John,

>> Wasn't needed back when - bison, etc. seemed to do a fine job of prarie
maintenance on open range up until we fence-builders overran the place.
Early cattle ranching was all open-range too. <<

Well, I'd love to see us doing in the US what the Russians have managed to
do with their wild antelope. "Russia has preserved and encouraged the Saiga
antelope (from near
extinction in the 1940's) to over a million today, and can cull 40% of these
annually for food." Mollison.

What are some of the principle animals for helping maintain Hawaii's flora?

Kirby