permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for EcologicalR

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for EcologicalR
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 02 08:29:19 -0000

Hi Kirby - lots of good thoughts in your response...
>>From what I've picked up, the animals are considered a fondly nostalgic but
>not very practical component of "restored" ecosystems. Restoration without
>the animals, IMO, is incomplete, and rather than taking the easy route of
>mechanically clearing brush and prescribed fire we need to be puzzling out
>just how to get the animals back on the land.
Interesting you noted elsewhere that they were into Holistic Management -
Alan Savory (who invented HM) gave a great presentation at IPC 2 in
Olympia (1986) where proposed grazers an essential tool in prarie
restoration and maintenance and how praries with livestock removed
continued to suffer native grassland species depletion. It was from this
research he developed the concept of cell-block grazing.
>Domestic livestock are probably our best tool for the job but even that
>entails fencing, livestock and labor for ranching which is more than a lot
>of people want to bight off when they agree to pay for "restoration." A lot
>of restoration work is client driven, especially here in Texas where most
>land is privately owned. In order to be an active, practicing
>restorationist we often end up having to comply with the desires and
>limitations of the land owner.
>What you usually hear restorationists talking about are song birds. Like
>prairies, song birds are vibrant and charming so they're in high demand and
>return quickly to restored grasslands.
Reminds me of the UK conservationists that pressured governments in
southern Africa to fence off conservation areas in the Kalihari and
'remove the people', which meant displacing the bushmen. Species
depletion & population unbalance has resulted (not to mention social cost
to the bushmen) and the fences to keep out cattle are restricting wild
animals from their traditional nomadic grazing routes .
There's a woman in the Kimberlies (Nth Western Australia) who has
restored the native savanah grasslands on her property using cattle as
the 'seeders and manurers' of the system.
It's sad that well intentioned folk have such limited knowledge and focus
only on the aspects of restoration and conservation that fit the current
trend or cute factor.
>I'd love to see more pronghorn antelope, mule deer, bison, bob cats, and
>wolves. You can imagine the complexity of reintroducing these animals,
>however. What a challenge!
Yes, yes, yes - that IS the challenge - without the animals it's not an
ecosystem, it'll simply be a labour intensive plant museum with an open
air aviary.
Robyn