permaculture - Re: [permaculture] (fwd) Newbie.... Where to begin?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] (fwd) Newbie.... Where to begin?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:44:16 +0200

Hi Kirby,

I am living in Germany, so I don't know where to get fish in the US. Young
fish are sold as "fingerlings" so look for that term on the web. There
should be fish breeders specialized in providing stock. If you can identify
any fish farmers in your area, they should also know where to get them.

Fishing shops might also know because some people who like fishing stock
their ponds with fingerlings.

There also should be some authorities responsible for fishing. They should
have the info. Before ordering fish, check if the species is allowed in your
area. I know that Tilapia are not in some areas. They should not be
introduced into areas where the are not living already, because they can be
invasiv. Especially if there is any chance of flooding in your area, don't
introduce foreign species into your ponds because then they might escape.

THere are companies sending fingerlings by mail order. The fish are sent in
plastic bags filled with water and oxigene. Before putting them into your
pond, float the platic bag in the pond, so that the temperature will adjust,
otherwise the fish might get a temperature shock and die. But normally, the
vendors should provide instructions. Ask them.

I am travelling for two weeks, so "read you later".

Andreas