permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Food Forest in Iowa

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Food Forest in Iowa
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:31:21 -0400

Good work Charlie !

On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 11:40 PM, Charles Knoles wrote:

Hi everyone,

We have planted the beginnings of a forest garden here in Fairfield Iowa.
We got about 90 fruit/nut plants in the ground the campus of Maharishi
University of Management. We had labour force of about 45 eighth graders
from Maharishi School, to whom I had been teaching permaculture design for
the previous week.

The plants we used include: Hardy Kiwis, Apples, Pears, Quinces, Aronia,
Akebia, Pecans, Serviceberry, Elderberry and Gooseberry. This
added to a previously established stand of Nanking Cherries, Chestnuts,
Hazelnuts and strawberries that we planted last year.

The Fairfield Ledger gave us their front cover and a photo. The shorter
online version is at: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?brd=1139

We have another 100 or so fruit trees to plant and I'm planning on
organising a planting party with the college students next weekend. If
anyone happens to be in Iowa, send me an email and come join the fun!

Much Love to All

Charlie Knoles

P.S I have some Powerpoint Presentations on Guilds and Patterning that I
used for the classes I taught and I'd be happy to share them if there's some
place to upload them (how do I do this??). They look quite nice but bear in
mind that they were targetted to an eighth grade audience.