permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Borrowed cows and on-the spot composting... ()Turning Sand Into Paradise() - Chillington Tools

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Borrowed cows and on-the spot composting... ()Turning Sand Into Paradise() - Chillington Tools
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 05:44:51 -0700

Rick Valley wrote:
LL;
The original (?) paper on terra preta in Amazonia was published in
Ecological Restoration. There's mention of how the zone of terra preta is
surrounded by a less fertile but still good soil zone, no pottery shards,
and less diversity of fruit trees. An excellent illustration of zones for
Pc! I'll try and track down the citation for you, tho I'm moving right now.

That sure would be a good example of zones to study. One might wonder why
the area they inhabited wasn't spread out over more square miles with the
extremities connected by trading routes, why they didn't seek prime areas
for farming nearer water or the best hunting grounds (maybe soil
type/tilth/fertility was the same over their entire bioregion and water and
game
was available most anywhere). I wonder if they were primarily vegetarians.

I'd like to see your reference when you find it.

Did you buy new land or a farm?

Regarding our earlier conversations about Chillington hoes and their tools in
general.
I found their website and called the company in England a few minutes ago.
The manager
I talked with is emailing me contact info for their USA distributor. He asid
that if
I could not get what I needed from that source to get back in touch with him
and he would
sell to me directly from England. You really should see the catalog of tools
shown on their
website; enough to make your mouth water. They show 50 different tools and
2-5 different sizes
for each of them. The multi pronged "Chillington Hoe" is there in six
different configurations.
Maybe it was the Canterbury Hoe you were talking about; probably made by
Chillington.

Anyway here's contact info:

The Chillington Tool Company
011 44 1902 826826 Telephone (for USA access; this translates from: +44 (0)
1902 826826)
Mr. Lawrence Askey (laskey@ralphmartindale.com)
A Ralph Martindale Group Company
crocodile@chillington.co.uk
http://www.chillington.co.uk/chillington.html
Crocodile USA (Chillington's USA Branch)
http://www.crocodileusa.com/
info@crocodileusa.com

I'll send the USA dealership contact info later.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net