permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Green Party

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Green Party
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:27:05 -0500

At 02:15 PM 9/19/02 -0400, you wrote:

I'd like to hear some opinions please, on the following:

While attending the "One Earth" conference at the Omega institute recently, David Orr challenged us all to get involved politically, to make use of our (still functioning) democratic institutions to "start attending those long, impossibly boring meetings" and make our voices heard.

In response to this, a member of the audience got up and asked us all why we weren't all active members of the Green Party - imperfect as it may be, she said, here is an up and running institution ready for our inputs.......

I have been printing out their material all morning and I like what I'm seeing.

How about the rest of you ? WHy aren't we taking this forward into the political realm and why not use the Green Party to do it ?

Claude

Claude,
I'm both a Democratic party delegate to the WI party and the WI chair of the Democratic Freedom Caucus (www.progress.org/dfc).

The greens sound so great on paper IMO because they so seldom win elections and never a majority in this country to my knowledge. It's very easy to criticize when you never have to govern. You get to be strident and pure since you never have to cut a deal or hold your nose and vote for the imperfect solutions. If this country had a proportional representation situation like most parliamentary democracies things would be different, but in a winner take all system like in the USA a vote for a Green is usually a waste. Further I have been less than impressed by some of the candidates, Ralph was OK except for all the lies about the Dems and GOP being the same (the past few years have shown that in spades), but Jim Young, our Green candidate for Governor, is a windy bag of lite platitudes and misinformation IMO. The broader debate in the majors tends to give the people a crack at a better slate. Of course GW Bush hardly makes my case....