permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Energetics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Energetics
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:11:55 -0700

Bob Ewing & Jocelyn Paquette wrote:
Greetings, a relevant book:

Stone Age Farming: Eco-Agriculture for the 21st Century

Alanna Moore

Python Press, Australia copyright 2001 isbn:
0-646-41188-8

Bob:

I see you've written a nice review of the book at:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/field_to_table/92173

Could you repost that to the list?

I was delighted to see that SAF encourages application of rock powders on
farmland.
I can verify the effectiveness and benefits of using rock dusts on soil. This
summer during the Big Drought
I applied 30 tandem loads of chicken manure and 30 tandem loads of 4
different kinds of rock quarry dusts
(settling pond fines) to about 3 1/2 acres of prime silt loam farmland and
followed this with extensive
tillage involving 4 different tractor implements (50 inch Howard rotavator, 3
bottom plow, tillage tool
and hilling discs). The rate that the manure decomposed and evolved into a
sweet-smelling soil mix was amazing,
even with very little rain. I found out from a grading/excavating/pond
builder contractor that rock dusts can
be used to seal the bottom and sides of farm ponds against leakage. This
includes installing ponds on highly
permeable land.

LL
--