permaculture - [permaculture] CategoryPattern

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] CategoryPattern
  • Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 08:47:32 -0500

(in this section of Ward Cunningham's original wikiwiki, it reads amazingly
like some of the discussions we've had about patterning over
the years, which is described as being at the root of the wikiwiki software
design. quite a good example of modelling software using
natural processes. mIEKAL)

from the page Category Pattern:
To quote ChristopherAlexander, "Each pattern describes a problem which occurs
over and over again in our environment, and then describes
the core of the solution to that problem, in such a way that you can use this
solution a
million times over, without ever doing it the same way twice."

Alexander was writing primarily about architecture, construction, and
urban/regional planning -- how people organize their environment.
His ideas about patterns have been applied to software development by
WardCunningham and others.

Patterns are one of the main reasons for wiki wiki.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?CategoryPattern