permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PC Wiki! - up and running, barebones mode

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PC Wiki! - up and running, barebones mode
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 17:05:56 -0700

Steve Diver wrote:
OK, now I'm getting interested in this Wiki business.

Anybody can get onto the Ibiblio-Perma-Wiki and
create a page like this with photos, text, and links?

Yes. I've added a nice & helpful editing/syntax helpfile (see HowToWiki).
At this time I, as administrator, am the only one who can upload files
directly into the wiki -
and at this time haven't really figured out what to do with it or how it
works -
but I'm going to work on this - the wikipedia allows uploads by persons who
log in with name and password.
As for now, with ours, you have to create an external URL/type link to any
binary files, i.e. pictures, videos, soundfiles
and other multimedia or graphics or Acrobat (.pdf). Just type the URL and
enclose it with square brackets like:
Permaculture Wiki [http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php]
There is another workaround available anytime and on an ongoing basis: ftp
uploads to me at ibiblio; its easy.
I announced this a while back when Mark put his Midwestern Permaculture page
online.
Here's how to ftp upload the files you want me to add to the wiki (see
below). When I seem them in the upload directory
I will move them to a certain place in the pcwiki filesystem based on whether
they are pics or docs, and let you know where I put them,
_if_ you let me know what you uploaded and their filenames. I have created
two directories for ftp uploads destined for the wiki:
(you can't actually ftp upload them there but you can at the location
described below)
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/ftp-uploads/pics
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/ftp-uploads/docs
- and more for other file types as needs warrant
<>
Save This For Future Use:
<>
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/upload.html
FTP File Uploads to PERMACULTURE:
Use your ftp client software to upload your files
Connect to this ftp host:
ftp.ibiblio.org
then go to "incoming" then to "ecolandtech"
or connect to this host:
ftp.ibiblio.org
and set your client to start up in this "remote folder":
incoming/ecolandtech
Some of you may already use ftp clients that respond to your web browser
executing the command to go to an ftp site (surfing to an FTP URL),
in which case you can simply use the following URL in your browser
to get to the permaculture upload area:
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/incoming/ecolandtech
BE SURE TO NOTIFY ME (L.F. LONDON, LFL@INTREX.NET) BY EMAIL OR IN THE PC LIST
WHEN YOU UPLOAD YOUR FILES, WHAT THEIR NAMES ARE AND WHERE THEY ARE TO GO,
SO I WILL KNOW TO MOVE THEM INTO THE DESIRED LOCATION.
BTW: Thanks to the staff at ibiblio, BK and Miekal for all the great help
they've provided
in getting us up and running with our Permaculture Wiki.
<>

Wiki appears to be nifty.

Quite neat.

Steve Diver

mIEKAL aND wrote:

While the following is not top level activity this is the kind of interactions
that I am interested in using the permawiki for. this is the beginnings of a
little mediation on buartnuts, the overstory species in our nut garden.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/BuartNut

mIEKAL