permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Agrarian Suburb?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: PacificEdge <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Agrarian Suburb?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 15:16:32 +1000

The first instance I came across the idea of an 'agrarian suburb' with houses surrounded by agricultural land - one acre (2.5ha) in this case - was in an early book by the architect Frank Lloyd Wright. I recall that it was written in the 1930s and was part of an idea Wright had for a new form of city. Wright's idea was that every resident in the US would have access to such land and that it would integrate city and rural.

Looking at the illustration, though, the impression I got was - sprawl. It was based on everyone having private vehicular transport and necessitated a comprehensive road system. That, of course, was progressive to modernist minds in that decade.

The scenario described below on 1 -2 acres of land sounds idyllic, but I wonder who has the time to tend this amount of land today? I agree with Robyn that it is too much land and suggest that less than a hectare would be more than enough for most. Some, of course, would welcome that extra space and given the fact that gardening is one of Australia's most popular hobbies, you would think that a large block would have widespread appeal. Consider, though, that most of those avid gardeners are tenders of ornamental plants managed by non-organic means, rather than food producers and orchard planters.

Yes, as Robyn says it has been done at Crystal Waters and Jalanbah, but I still think the idea of the team I was involved in of a compact, medium density development surrounded by agricultural land (the Italian hill village model) allows more choice in living arrangements. Not everyone who moves to the country wants to farm or wants heaps of land. And, given that we're an urban civilisation in Australia, the portability of such models to the cities is important. The nearest I have seen of our model being replicated in the city was the Urban Ecology proposal for Halifax urban village on the edge of the Adelaide CBD. That, unfortunately, never came off but it pointed to the type of mixed usage, sustainable development our cities need.

As Robyn says, Village Homes in California has a lot to teach us. But we have to be careful of applying any single model universally. I understand that Village Homes is based on the Radburn model of urban design that allows for large expanses of public open space and in which homes address that open space rather than the street. Clearly, the model works. In some cases at least.

The model was employed in estates built near Campbelltown, two hours drive south-west of Sydney. There, it was a disaster with the open space becoming a stripping and burning ground for stolen cars and the scene of police car pursuits of car thieves and falling under the control of gangs made up of the youth of residential families. A couple of the estates have started a process of 'deRadburnisation', with houses being altered to address the street, where life takes place, and residents of one estate taking action to oust the gang from the open space and turn it into a hugh community food garden. Maybe the model works with middle class people and is potentially less successful with poorer residents.
...Russ Grayson