permaculture - [permaculture] Agrarian Suburb?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: BK <lildragon@saber.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Agrarian Suburb?
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 19:28:25 -0700

Hey.
Just read Natural Capitalism. Isn't it ironic that we have all these labor
saving devices, and now everyone is obese, and may people go to the gym to
excerise while they tread on a machine with no other purpose then to idly
sit there. Is that effecient?

Could it be possible to design essentially an agrarian suburb? The cities
need food (although rooftops can help, they probably need more). Give each
home 1 or 2 acres of land, have some communal waterfront ponds with fish,
let the kids go fishing out their back door, grow fruit trees along the
paths, garden it...and allow folks to make a bit of a living on the food
they harvest/produce. Wouldn't even dad's and sons and "nuclear" families
love the idea of going and fishing, and living in "nature" (as we've seen
to0 many folks are trying to live in fire prone food areas). Thats the kind
of development I wouldn't mind, making a diverse community without the
effects of polution, etc. Give folks bikes to give around the community
(have a store, and most needs local). Don't make it disconnected from the
urban areas, maybe a few folks drive a van to sell produce at markets.
Reduce vehicles per capita to .3 or less, but divide the money to easily pay
the higher (starting) cost of a Hypercar/vehicle.

One potental of the wiki's is to add a definition like
"Idea-AgrarianSuburb?" to which the above paragraph could be added. Maybe
other folks have insights into other aspects of the idea, and it could
evolve into a more full bodied concept.

Cheers,
BK