permaculture - [permaculture] Diff. between wikis and websites

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Russ + Fiona... PacificEdge" <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Diff. between wikis and websites
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:33:44 +1000

From: lfl@intrex.net
Date: Mon Sep 02, 2002 07:42:39 PM Australia/Sydney
To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [permaculture] Wiki Web

Diff. between wikis and websites, wikis are interactive allowing anyone to
add and change content therein;
websites allow public input in discussion forums and submissions through
forms.

There are websites that allow approved people to place content online
through the use of content-management system software (CMS). A template is
downloaded, content placed and put online. The Australian Community Foods
website uses this technology.

While it makes websites more participatory I doubt whether it is as
participatory as wiki.

Even on wiki would there not remain the issue of reusing someone's posting
as it is automatically granted copyright when it is produced? A way around
this would be to set out an agreement by which participants can use and
build on the work of others and make it available under a general public
licence (GPL), much as is Linux software.

I think wikpeodia might be doing this and there is the OpenCola recipe which
is in the public domain under such a licence. New Scientist magazine, a
couple months ago, published an article under this licence and made it
available for distribution outside of copyright. This type of open
publishing is being called 'copyleft'.

Were there the energy, I would like to propose a permaculture designer's
manual published as an ongoing, online work under GPL.

Russ Grayson
PacificEdge Media +TerraCircle development aid team