permaculture - Re: [permaculture] "thirsty " trees....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] "thirsty " trees....
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:27:12 -0400

Wes Wrote:
, trees absorb perhaps 80percent of rain fall,
> drainage into aquifiers could be as low as 5 percent,
> Grass land only absorbs 15 percent of rainfall with aquifier recharge of
> perhaps 70 percent,

Claude asks:
But don't the trees then return 75% through transpiration ? Is the number
simmilar for grasslands ? My question remains: Isn't cutting the trees to
get more water a self-defeating, short term band-aid given the role of trees
in creating rain ?