permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility/Pond Clean Up

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lfl@intrex.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility/Pond Clean Up
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:08:31 -0700

FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:

I've already crenelated the edges, when I had the pond built, and the edges were quite shallow. Over time the cattle stepping in and out seem to break down some of the bank creating a shallow but steep edge.

By the way...do you think bald cypress would be appropriate near the edge of the pond? Also there are lots of willows on the property. Not sure which kind...but they seem to be very brittle, prone to wind damage and short lived. They do sucker profusely. And they are not weeping willows.

Look in Gray's Manual of Botany or Wyman's Garden Encyclopedia for a list of wild and cultivated willows. You wild varieties will likely be in there. Thing is they are probably adapted to your climate and other local conditions though not particularly attractive. Add river birch
which is a wild variety of birch.