permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] Re: buck rake?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, midwestpermaculture@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] Re: buck rake?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:31:47 -0500

Yet another reason to learn to weld......
Mark L

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:46:55 +0000
From: dick874 <sbevier@chatham.k12.nc.us>
Subject: [grazersedge] Re: buck rake?
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

--- In grazersedge@y..., clinton briley <clintbah@y...> wrote:
> What is a buck rake. Anyone?
> Thanks,
> Clint Briley
>
> >The
> > only equipment we own are a medium size tractor,
> > front loader, mower to
> > clip pastures, manure spreader and a buck rake to
> > make grass silage
> > from any spring surplus.

> http://www.hotjobs.com
Clint,
Picture a large garden rake with the teeth parallel to the ground.
I built ours out of 2x2 tubing and old car springs for teeth (shackel
end cut off and ground to a bevel) I made a hydrolic top link out out
of a cylinder with the linkage welded on each arm. This allows me to
dump my load in the pile. It is used by backing up down the windrow
until a full load is packed and then we carry it to the head of the
field and make a pile. (yes, to all u critcs it is a little slow and
hard on the neck but goes quit fast if a second tractor is availible to
help pack the pile) total cost of rake is less then 200$
We pile the grass/clover/herb silage in a pile about 16' wide
40'long and about 6' tall. We cover it with plastic and it settles down
to about 4'tall. We feed under a wire. I challenge anyone to come up
with a cheaper method. I would love to hear it so i can try it.

Dick B

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/RN.GAA/S8XolB/TM