permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] honey locust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] honey locust
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:43:24 -0500

From Grazers edge

At 04:06 PM 08/13/2002 -0500, Clay wrote:
>Tree Crops by J Russell Smith quotes a letter by H. S. Betts, Engineer in
>Forest Products, USDA, Forest Service, Jan. 28, 1927 speaking of Honey
>Locust. "The principal use of the wood is for posts and railroad ties, as
>it is quite durable in the ground. "
> IMO, one would have to be hard up for posts to put up with the thorns.

I'm right there with you, Clay. Honeylocust is one of my most hated trees
- no telling how many tires I've had punctured by 'em over the years.
While Mr.(Dr.?) Smith is frequently quoted, he's also one of the folks,
who, if I recall correctly, years ago, were pushing for folks to plant
honeylocust for the pods, which he was espousing as a great cattle feed
source. You see where that has gone, don't you?
Yes, the pods may have good feed value, but what is the production/acre,
and how do you deal with the thorns and all the thousands of volunteer
seedlings that spring up everywhere. Even if you plant seedlings of the
'thornless' cultivars, some of them are gonna revert back to the thorny type.

Maybe David will try a few honeylocust posts in non-critical spots and give
us a report back in a few years.

Lucky

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/S8XolB/TM