permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Loss of Our Trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Loss of Our Trees
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:39:59 EDT

Good day:)
In a message dated 8/2/02 8:50:36 AM, peace@totalaccess.net writes:

<< As well, a strong case can be made to use trees extensively in a grazing

system. There are farmers' trees, mostly legumes such as acacia, locust and

mesquite, which offer a dappled shade and sugar rich seed pods throughout

the summer. This source of sugar and protein (via the seed pods) is

essential for digestion late in the summer when most grasses are nothing but

dried up cellulose and livestock need the extra sugar for fermentation in

their ruminant gut. >>

I believe I'm quoting Kirby Fry. Kirby I know my cattle enjoy, and seek out
the shade on the hot humid dog days of summer. I'm planning on doing
rotational grazing but I'd also like to have it so that cattle also will have
access to shade within each paddock. However in some paddocks that would be
difficult. Do you think it would be worth extra effort to provide lanes, with
a greater number of electric spring gates to allow cattle to walk extra 400'
or possibly more to get to shade whenever they choose?

I have pasture areas with clumps of trees that cattle seem to enjoy, but it
sure makes seeding, fertilizing, liming and bush hogging more difficult.
Since I don't use chemicals iron weeds, joe pye etc. outcompete grass in
summer so I have to mow them down at least 3 times.

I'm hoping that grasses, and clovers will thicken, and eventually choke out
such. Am I dreaming; is this wishful thinking?

Like to hear more on this:) Thanks. Frank