permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] RE: Normande/Fleckvieh/RX3

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, midwestpermaculture@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] RE: Normande/Fleckvieh/RX3
  • Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 16:49:55 -0500

Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:45:40 -0500
From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
Subject: [grazersedge] RE: Normande/Fleckvieh/RX3
Sender: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

>===== Original Message From grazersedge@yahoogroups.com =====
>Does that mean she sleeps in your lap or that she is always fetching
>stuff? What do you think about them as a possible milk putter inner
>for a low milking beef strain? Any meat on their bones, or are the
>like Jerseys and Holsteins in that respect?

If you're trying to improve milk production in low-milking beef cattle without
sacrificing carcass traits, why not try using something like a good
Fleckvieh(Austrian/German strain of Simmental) - originally, they were
dual-purpose cattle with selection for milk production, but they maintained a
more moderate frame and heavier muscling than did the Swiss & French types
that were in the initial U.S. importations. Good dispositions, and if you
choose wisely, many have good calving ease scores(I've used 'em on Holstein
heifers and small-frame Angus cows with no problems), maternal calving ease,
as well as good weaning and yearling weights.

Many of the breed sire summaries, and most of the AI catalogs list EPDs for
important traits such as calving ease, maternal calving ease(a measure of how
easily a bull's daughter's calve out as first-timers), milk, weaning &
yearling weights. Haven't looked at 'across-breed' EPDs in quite a while, but
the breed EPDs apply primarily to the breed itself - for instance, a Simmental
bull with a zero or negative milk EPD will still probably put a whole lot more
milking capacity into his daughters than will one of the higher milk bulls in,
say, the Polled Hereford breed(and a he** of a lot more than any Chianina!).

Not knocking Normande, but Simmental, Braunvieh(beef strain Brown Swiss),
Maine-Anjou and others have been in the country for 30+ years in beef herds,
and I think they're pretty much a proven entity in beef crossbreeding. And,
for those folks who've just got to have black, most of them are available in
that color.

I've been wanting, for years, to get hold of some RX3 genetics, but they're
just not available in my area.
The RX3 was a composite beef breed, originally developed by Pioneer genetics,
from a base of 1/4 Hereford, 1/4 Red Holstein, and 1/2 Red Angus. Polled
animals, good milk, good carcass traits, good mothering ability; selected
mainly for production traits, most are solid red, but there probably are some
old brockle-faced cows still around in some herds. There's still a small
group of RX3 breeders out in the midwest, but none around here.

My $.02

Lucky

Since time is important, please reduce the number of lines from previous posts you reply to, and use an accurate subject line.
Post message: grazersedge@egroups.com
Subscribe: grazersedge-subscribe@egroups.com
Our homepage: http://www.egroups.com/group/grazersedge