permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Centuries-old oak toppled in Maryland storm

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Heide Hermary <heidehermary@pacificcoast.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Centuries-old oak toppled in Maryland storm
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:01:51 -0700

Yeah, especially oaks, they so hate to have their root systems
compacted, as would happen to a famous trees that' visited by thousands
of people every year, or even just in the urban environment in general.
One of the biggest dangers to our very few protected old growth
rainforest areas up here on Vancouver Island is the increased traffic
from tourists, mostly ecologists and other nature lovers: they're
seriously compacting the root zones! Root damage sets a whole spiral of
decline in motion. We've got to find a better way to live with trees,
but I don't know the answer.
Heide