permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Centuries-old oak toppled in Maryland storm

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Misha Gale-Sinex <mgs2369@attbi.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Centuries-old oak toppled in Maryland storm
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:36:06 -0700

Centuries-old oak toppled in Maryland storm

June 7, 2002 Posted: 7:48 PM EDT (2348 GMT)

WYE MILLS, Maryland (AP) -- The massive Wye Oak, the living symbol of
Maryland's state tree and designated the largest white oak in the country,
was toppled Thursday during a thunderstorm.

I knew this tree. Used to visit it during many sojourns to the Eastern Shore to troll teeny johnboats around the shores of the Wye and other rivers. Buried my parents about an hour away from it.

Sad sad news.

In answer to Heidi's question, I wouldn't be surprised if this tree died of loneliness. To put it in a more materialist/rationalist perspective, what tree, no matter how large, can be expected to stand alone in 60 mph winds?

A tree deprived of a forest community is a sad thing.

mIEKAL, thanks for the word, which I just received this New Moon day.

peace
mish