permaculture - Re: Begin with the End in Mind - Re: [permaculture] walking awa

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Begin with the End in Mind - Re: [permaculture] walking awa
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 02 19:06:45 -0000

Darren wrote:
>Permaculture is a system of design focussed primarily
>on human settlements. Therefore these cultivated systems rely on, to varying
>zone-based degrees, human intervention in their management. Otherwise the
>system will to revert simply to the whims of natural succession.

This is nowhere more evident than in zone 1 annual vegetable gardens
which are the most labour intensive and yet can provide more of our daily
food needs than other other systems.
In effect we are stopping the ecological clock at the first stage of
succession and to keep it there requires constant or consistent
intervention.

I've seen well established food forests abandoned for a few years also
subject to strangulation by vigorous vine, woody and tree pioneers and
the fruit trees suffering with little or very low production.
Robyn