permaculture - Re: Begin with the End in Mind - Re: [permaculture] walking awa

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Begin with the End in Mind - Re: [permaculture] walking awa
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:46:48 +0200

> I've seen well established food forests abandoned for a few
years also
> subject to strangulation by vigorous vine, woody and tree
pioneers and
> the fruit trees suffering with little or very low production.

i am asking myself if this is has been in australia, and this
being in connection to the trees being very newly introduced
species. i have seen old farm orchards abandoned for decades, and
while some trees have died, and some did not bear any fruit,
others still gave huge crops of apples, pears, plums. while at
the times those orchards where used by their owners, underneath
was the traditional calf-meadow close to the house, when they had
been abandoned for long they turned much more into a food
forest - blackberries here and there, lots of braodleafed forbes
(including edible species), and some volunteer non-food trees in
between. but this was europe, and those trees have been here for
a looong time.

georg