permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: A Fuzzy Tale - story source

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: A Fuzzy Tale - story source
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:42:07 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> ...I'd like to have those reccomedations....Claude
> Steiner ?! Never heard of him, but with a name like that.....

A name like Claude, you mean? ;-)
No relation to that other Steiner, afaik...

This Steiner was a colleage of Eric Berne ("Games People Play",
etc.)...Briefly, Berne majorly annoyed the entrenched psychiatric
community of his time (still somewhat entrenched in our time) by
re-examining their basic assumptions and practices and finding them
hugely wanting, then proceeding to develop and use far more effective
methods for aiding people in changing their lives for the better. What
makes his and Steiner's and lots of others' related work so relevant to
PC is that besides being all about Culture (as I would put it), it's
all about patterns and relatings between us 'human beans' - a sort of
"Designer's Manual" for patterns and relatings in human interactions.

Another item on top of my list in this area at present is "Growing Up
Again - parenting ourselves, parenting our children," by Jean Illsley
Clarke and Connie Dawson (ISBN 1-56838-190-5). Again, it's a guide to
recognizing necessary, essential, beneficial, etc. patterns and
relatings amongst human beings.

I'll throw in "I and Thou" by Martin Buber (ISBN 0-684-18254-8; get the
Ronald Gregor Smith translation) as well - yet another look at basic
human relating from yet another perspective.

This sort of stuff is IMO the most crucial aspect of PC (or anything
else - it's the "culture" part) and yet scarcely touched on in standard
PC literature, etc..

I'll add more when I get my reading list on my site updated...

=====
John Schinnerer, MA