permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture epithets/wisdom thus far

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture epithets/wisdom thus far
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:35:56 -0500

Two additions have been recently made to our Permaculture Wisdom
Epithets list.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks his own funeral,
dressed in a shroud, and I or you pocketless of a dime may purchase
the pick of the earth. Walt Whitman's 'Song of Myself'

In other news, I planted a polyculture (modelled after the discussed
of same in Toby Hemenway's Gaias Garden book) of 8 different kinds of
lettuce, plus radishes and some dill.

The permanent crops we added this year (boysenberry, dewberry,
elderberry, blackberry, camas lily, clove currant, apricot/peach/pecan
trees, concord and fredonia grape vines), have all done well except
for the camas lily and pecan tree. I planted 8 camas lilies, half
survived, the pecan tree has not produced any buds or foliage yet, so
it may be a dud. I also added a Cheroke rose given me by a Cherokee
friend from eastern Oklahoma, and another rose "erfult" rose bush.

All of the perennial herbs are now up and growing, except for the
rosemary which apparently did not survive our winter.

Robert Waldrop, http://www.bettertimesinfo.org
Oklahoma City