permaculture - Re: [permaculture] mowers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] mowers
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:27:59 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> The mower in question is a horizontal scythe mower.
> We think these are a lot more friendly to little critters than a
> rotary mower.

Cool - presumably similar to what is called a sickle bar mower this
side of the pond (hard to find these days, I hear). Besides critter
friendliness, these types of grass/hay/etc. cutters cut the standing
stuff so it lays down and covers and composts nicely (if it's to be
left in place).

Rotary mowers ('brush hogs', etc.) tend to shatter and scatter the
plant material (and the critters too...).

=====
John Schinnerer, MA