permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Course announcement: Living Systems Design II]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Course announcement: Living Systems Design II]
  • Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 21:35:06 -0500

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:41:29 -0500
Subject: Course announcement: Living Systems Design II

Please pass the word ...

Living Systems Design II:
Advanced Urban Permaculture & Site Restoration Methods

~~When: Conveniently scheduled across four weekends;
Saturdays & Sundays from 9:00 to 5:00.

July 13th & 14th -and- 27th & 28th
August 10th & 11th -and- 24th & 25th

~~Where: In-class sessions at:
Masonic Temple, 753 North 185th Street
Shoreline, WA, 98133
(about 15 minutes north of Seattle), and various field sites to be
announced.

~~Tuition: $900 (includes all fees and refreshments)

Required Texts:
>>Permaculture: A Designer's Manual by Bill Mollison
>>The HOK Guidebook To Sustainable Design by Sandra Mendler & William
Odell
(both books are available online via LSDG.net)

Register now by phone or email:
Call: (206)-546-3119 or online via <www.lsdg.net>
* Advanced registration advised *
About the Course
Through lecture, discussion, observation, field trips, and hands-on
learning, students will pool their talents and skills as they assess,
design, and present, as practicing consultants, master plans to clients.

Students will acquire both information and instruction on advanced urban
ecological design tools, techniques, and have opportunities to translate
theory and methods into practical application.

The course will both review and extend LSD I course themes such as:
~ Principles & ethics of permaculture and ecological design;
~ Pattern theory and recognition;
~ Features of topography including contours, soil, microclimates,
slopes &
flows, etc.;
~ Harvesting, treating, storing, and conserving water;
~ Design strategies for safety and prevention during fire and
catastrophe;
~ Useful plants and animals; integrated pest management techniques;
~ Alternative energy sources, systems, and services;
~ Mapping and "green building", low-impact site development, including
innovative stormwater surfaces-for-salmon, windbreaks;
~ Space-efficient food production, composting, food forestry and plant
guilds;
~ Effective professional consultation methods and evaluation; and more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who enrolls in our courses?
~ Graduates of our LSD I course and/or other courses offering
preparation
in
permaculture, eco-design, green building, organic gardening, master
composting, alternative energy systems, etc.
~ Renters & Homeowners: Learn simple steps to improve your home
ecosystem
and your immediate surroundings while saving money, resources, and
building a healthy habitat.
~ Planners & Managers: Learn how to integrate sustainable design
methodologies into the planning process using a multi-disciplinary
approach.
~ Municipal, State & Federal Employees: Improve public service & work
efficiency and community benefits via creative land, water, and air
resource management techniques.
~ Building Design & Construction Professionals: Learn about current
practical systems of natural building, as well as how to integrate
land-use design into the built environment.
~ Landscape Architects, Designers & Gardeners: Learn principles and
techniques of sustainable landscaping, with an emphasis on functional
plants and rainwater harvesting.
~ Social Workers: Acquire tools for empowerment and new dimensions of
place-based professional practice applicable for micro through macro
change processes.
~ Non-profit & Community Leaders: Integrate ecological design,
professional
networking, and social marketing approaches to advance your mission and
programs.
~ Entrepreneurs: Explore how ecological models can be used to design,
develop, implement, and manage a sustainable business venture.
~ Students & Educators: Integrate ecological systems design and
social/environmental change practices into your academic studies.

Instructors:
Combining their various skills in permaculture, urban sustainability,
natural building, and community development, Mike Broili, Jonathan
Scherch,
and guest lecturers will share a holistic approach to advanced design
across the eight-day, four-weekend, course.

Michael Broili brings over 30 years of experience including project
design and management, graphic and physical systems design,
mapping, contracting, marketing and research. He has designed and
managed a wide range of local, national and international projects,
and has managed large crews in remote and difficult circumstances.
He is a certified permaculture designer and teacher, and offers his
experience and a network of contacts and alliances within the
sustainable and whole systems design community.

Jonathan Scherch, Ph.D. is the Chair and a Core Faculty member of the
Graduate Programs in Environment & Community at
Antioch University Seattle. A certified permaculture designer
and teacher, his background includes 15 years of sustainable
community organizing and development initiatives, place-based
appropriate technology design and applications, and teaching
across five universities. Jonathan is also a Returned United States
Peace Corps Volunteer (Jamaica, 1991-93, Community Development Sector).

Join us for a great course experience!

Living Systems Design Guild, LLC
211 NW 201st
Shoreline, WA, 98177
Office: (206)-546-3119
info@lsdg.net

  • [permaculture] [Fwd: Course announcement: Living Systems Design II], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/05/2002