permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Thilo's web page in comparison to ATTRA's web page

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <lorenstwin@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Thilo's web page in comparison to ATTRA's web page
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:16:01 -0800 (PST)

--- Thilo Pfennig <tp@alternativ.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 01:55, Steve Diver wrote:

> Don't make me angry!

Thilo,

With all due respect...that sounds remarkably like a veiled threat.
Personally, I don't give a chook's left ovary about your state of mind,
and AFAIK you haven't attempted to liberally interpret copyright law
around anything I've written. I assume Steve will be a bit less
charitable WRT your mood.

Any road...your multiple emails, which in some ways only obliquely
address Steve's and others' points, have the tone to me of a little boy
caught with his hand in the cookie jar. The total volume of your
denials strike me as "the (lady) protesteth too much."

> Everybody can check that:
> http://www.alternativ.net/landwirtschaft/permakultur/pcfaq/pcfaq.html
>

> > and claiming copyright for something that was written and published
> > by others.
>
> As I have changed your work it can not be copyrighted by you any
> more.

Are you a lawyer? If not, particularly if you aren't a copyright
lawyer, don't go around offering legal opinions - it wastes time, and
annoys the *real* lawyers. In some countries, impersonating a lawyer
without a license carries fines and may result in jail time, at least
as I understand it.

IANAL either, but what you are saying doesn't ring true to me. If what
you say is true, then I could rip off anything in the world by changing
four or five words in it and copyrighting it as mine. And somehow I
doubt that...particularly in light of such things as the successful
suit against George Harrison, claiming that "My Sweet Lord" was
essentially a plagiarism (even if unintentional) of "She's So Fine."

I fail to see how your modifications invalidate Steve's copyright; I
believe you can only own your modifications, not the original source.
It's like inventing a new tail light for an electric car; replacing the
tail light with your own design doesn't give you the right to start
building the cars and selling them as your own.

So do your research before hitting the Fateful Send Key; it might help
you look a little less...misinformed.

And quite frankly, I don't see how this pissing match helps *anybody*
care for the Earth.

Build soil,

Loren

=====
Loren Davidson Permaculturist, poet, healer, writer
loren@farwalker.com | http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
"Information wants to be free. Unfortunately, 90% of it is crap." - Anon.