permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PC workshop curricula and tips

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Foss _" <old_growth@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PC workshop curricula and tips
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:50:15 +0000

>When talking to a group of farmers about permaculture
>on the farm, what are the key points that tie permaculture
>to the broadscale level vs backyard level. What makes
>permaculture interesting to farmers? How can they use it?

Soil Biology answers all the questions above.  Most have a general idea about the importance of thier soil, but don't truely understand the link that the biology plays to thier yields and profits.  Once that basic understanding is met, farmers will then be ready for more PC ideas.  At least that has been my experience.

Elain Ingrem (sp?) and the Soil dept of Oregon State U would have great info for this type of presentation.  They used to hold a weekend class "Soil Biology for Farmers and Ranchers".

-Jeff