permaculture - Re: [permaculture] plastic wastes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] plastic wastes
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:25:58 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

Sorry 'bout the errant empty message...what I failed to type was

a) old news - we've been doing this for decades, to SE Asia anyhow.
Maybe India's a new destination. I have a Greenpeace report on
plastics rubbish dumping in SE Asia from the early 1980's in my files
somewhere. Women with no safety gear at little or nothing an hour
sorting produce and shopping and drycleaning and etc. etc. bags in huge
unventilated warehouses, ad nauseum.

b) just posting an article may not seem real relevant (also, please
post URLs only if article is available on web), but it can be
relevant...

Consider some of the (not truly) 'cheap' 'n easy stuff that involves
semi-thoughtless use of plastics, such as PVC pipe for greenhouse hoops
and short-lived plastics for greenhouse covering, drip irrigation and
indeed any irrigation using "throwaway" plastic parts 'n pieces,
grow-bags, plastic nursery pots (at the least, proper care and storage
to maximize lifespan)...just a few immediate thoughts...

=====
John Schinnerer, MA