permaculture - Re: Give me an example of PC that is working (was Pc slammed in

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Give me an example of PC that is working (was Pc slammed in
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 02 10:21:31 -0000

Been watching this thread with interest - the 'scientific proof' issue as
stated by many is difficult, especially when trying to quanitify a system
where 'the whole is greater than the sum of parts' and the pressure is to
justify just one of those parts (crop yeild).
Pc needs to be assessed on so many levels, household, property,
neighbourhood, bioregion and beyond; also environmental, ecological,
social and economic; and then there's all the other personal layers of
self reliance, quality of life, enjoyment, satisfaction, health,
wellbeing etc.

Jarlanbah Pc Community was part of a grazing property - the 55 acres only
yielded the farmer $1200 worth of beef per year. Now there are numerous
half acre private gardens on that same piece of land that harvest well
over $1200 worth of vegetables, fruit and eggs per year each from their
half acre. Plus there's the reduced energy consumption (compared to
average rural residential household), rainwater collection, composting
toilets etc etc. Then there's the 33 acres of community land with
rainforest regeneration along the gully, increased wildlife habitat,
populations and diversity, the woodlots planted with fuel and cabinet
timbers, the organic market garden that supplies our local village stores
and on and on.

Here at Djanbung Gardens (was part of the same grazing property as
Jarlanbah) the 5 acres is providing 60% of my food and food for courses
(estimated value $4000), and earns approx $5000 through value-adding
(conserves & herbal products, and casual canteen food sales) and sale of
tropical tubers, vegetative propagules and surplus veg. If the 55 acres
of Jarlanbah yeilded the farmer only $1200, then my 5 acres was probably
only worth around $110 a year. Plus there's the educational income of all
the visitors who come here to see a working permaculture system,and
there's the numerous other products harvested, the increase in
biodiversity & wildlife etc etc.
Could add sooooo much more and cite numerous examples of pc successes if
I only had the time...
I get constant feedback from former students thanking me and describing
their systems, how much pleasure and production they derive from their
permacultures.

Robyn

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au