permaculture - Re: Plant DB - data & user friendly

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Plant DB - data & user friendly
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 19:21:34 +0100

On December 21, 2001 Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org> wrote:

> > Also, many folk bypass the entry page by
> > bookmarking pages, and hundreds of hits every month actually use the
> > .exe files rather than any webpage (an unscrupuluous webmaster no
> > doubt - hehehehe good luck to them, at least the DB is being used).
>
> I think the problem here is search engines. They tend to pick up
> the individual database pages rather that the front page.
I don't think it is a good Idea to stop the search engines from indexing the
individual data base pages. Somebody searching the web for this or that
plant using google should be directed to the relevant page in the database.
That is how most people are going to find the database. If you hide the
content, people will not find it at all.

Andreas