permaculture - Re: Water Ponding

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Water Ponding
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:12:22 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> I have lots of drains coming down from the hills around my place.
> Some are fairly wide, and some almost 10 feet deep.
> ...With heavy rains over a few days volumes are impressive, and
> fairly swift.

Swift enough to cause ongoing erosion? Slopes for drains in keyline
systems are typically 1:100 at *most*.

> Regarding key lines...
>
> I've read some of the literature...but am still a bit confused.
> For example would drainage ways that lead down and converge from the
> hills on either side of the hills to the hollows be keylines?

Technically, a key line is a contour line passing through a key point
(which, technically, is the point of slope change from convex to
concave in a primary valley). Some confusion may arise because after
defining this, Yeomans then also names his whole land development
system "keyline"...

So your example drains would not be on keylines, if I understand your
description correctly. They are concentrating water from the
hills/ridges to the hollows, is that correct?

A main intent of keyline design is to do the opposite of that - that
is, move the water out from where it naturally concentrates (valleys,
hollows) to the places it naturally runs off of (ridges).

=====
John Schinnerer, MA