permaculture - Re: Water Ponding

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Water Ponding
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 15:54:43 EST

Good day,

So nice to hear from Darren , John and others.

Darren as usual was right on the money:) I have already built a number of
lowland ponds...that was easy. Ponds higher up in the hills would be better
though.

I have lots of drains coming down from the hills around my place. Some are
fairly wide, and some almost 10 feet deep. Water volumes vary greatly
depending on volume of water, ground moisture levels, etc. With heavy rains
over a few days volumes are impressive, and fairly swift. Some drains end
near low land, and create boggy areas.

My thoughts were to possibly dig extension drains to connect to other
drainages rather than juts spill over. In the past much of this was pasture
which has now quite a few weedy trees like box elder, black willows, and lots
of multiflora roses.

I'm planning to bull doze much of this area...yet keep enough trees to make
it more like park land, and then plant grasses and clovers for grazing.

One of the main problems correcting?:) some of these situation is the sheer
size of the project since they affect quite a number of acres. Even moving
dirt from a pond to fill in requires a dump truck, and many, many trips.

Regarding key lines...

I've read some of the literature...but am still a bit confused.
For example would drainage ways that lead down and converge from the hills on
either side of the hills to the hollows be keylines?

Look forward to your comments. Frank