permaculture - Re: cultural myths and misery

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: cultural myths and misery
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 23:31:03 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

--- Brent Ladd <forestgarden@home.com> wrote:
> If have a chance to read my article, I comment on this.

Plan to - want to read it at one sitting and didn't have time when I
first went to the link.

>This sort of hamstrung us, as we didn't have
> any elders to help guide us and no numbers of children we could
> re-inforce our lifeway by sharing with them (and learning from them
> too!). I came to
> the conclusion that a tribe with any vision for the long haul
> requires multiple generations of families with strong ties.

Thanks for this, good insight to remember; sometimes intentional
communities starting from "scratch" seem to encounter similar
challenges of being a "monoculture" in one aspect or another (age,
experieces, background, etc.). Looks like monoculture doesn't work for
us humans any better than for other plants and critters...but we keep
heading that way anyhow... :-o

=====
John Schinnerer, MA