permaculture - Re: plant DB - another quick thought or two

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: plant DB - another quick thought or two
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:54:41 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

As several people have already hinted at...let's

STAY IN ASSESSMENT!!

...for a while here! I see lots of good ideas here...let's observe,
assess, percolate, etc.

A given data model is only "right" for a little while...then what's
needed or wanted changes and it's "not right" any more.

Thus I strongly urge the use of an object-oriented design and OO tools
for a project such as this. It can be much more flexible and reusable;
maximizes stacking of fucntions (to put it in PC terms).

I also strongly urge the use of only open source tools and systems,
both to avoid issues common to proprietary software and because I think
it is more in the PC spirit.

Were I to choose, I'd use Zope as the primary platform, with Python as
the OOP language of choice for external stuff (Zope is written in
Python, so integration is automatically very tight. See python.org for
more on python). Zope can hook into most any sort of SQL DB, including
of course MySQL, and can also accomodate scripts and other
externalities in Perl, PHP, C++, etc. It has a powerful scripting
language of it's own, and page template language & macros that enable
true separation of data, logic and presentation (especially important
to a distributed project such as this is likely to be). Permissions
for various people to do various levels of access to various parts of a
Zope site are built right into it and easily managed without having to
muck about with underlying OS perms.

If there is interest I can go further into why Zope and OOP. For a
fairly easy to read howto that may answer a lot of questions, check out
this one:

http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/gainenlightenment

cheers,

=====