permaculture - Re: What Bill says

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: What Bill says
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:28:16 -0700

on 7/29/01 11:39 PM, 1earth permaculture at permaculture1@start.com.au
wrote:

> If there are no objections, the trademarking will go through

That's not true, although objections will greatly increase the chance of
rejection. Many, many applications are rejected without outside objections,
simply because, in the eyes of the trademark board, the trademark would harm
those already working in the field (like trying to trademark "electrician"
or "birth control pill") or because the term is determined by the review
board to be in the public domain, like "aspirin" or "elevator" (which is why
the makers of the Weed Whacker don't want you to say "I weed-whacked my
lawn." They request that you say "I string-trimmed my lawn).

I think both of the above cases are true for "PDC" and "Pc design" but I
hope our friends in Oz will still file an objection, just to be sure the
board is aware of the harm that the trademark will do.

Toby
For a look at my new book on ecological gardening,
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, visit
http://www.chelseagreen.com/Garden/GaiasGarden.htm