permaculture - Re: What Bill says

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: 1earth permaculture <permaculture1@start.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: What Bill says
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 1:10:28 +1000

Thanks Nina and/or Russ for working to clear all this up with Bill.

I have some important questions that I would need answered by Bill,
they are:

Once/if trademarking takes place:
1. Will PDC teachers have to submit course curriculum to Bill's
Institute for approval (both PDC courses and short specific courses)?

2. To what extent are these activities likely to be subject to
approval by Bill:
Permaculture (or sustainable design) books, websites, courses, design
consultancies, businesses and companies, not-for-profit businesses and
activities, community groups?
3. Is royalties an option for Bill, and will he enforce this?
4. To what extent will royalties be paid, if any?
5. Are any or all of the following likely to attract royalties:
Permaculture (or sustainable design) books, websites, design
consultancies, courses, businesses and companies, not-for-profit
businesses and activities, community groups?
6. Will the administration of PDC holders and the course curriculum
take place to a better extent than it is currently being done?
7. What is the future of the Institute - will (or is) it be democratic
and open in its activities?

As someone who was told during my PDC course (like many others) that
the ownership of "permaculture" was vested in the holders of the PDC
and that we were able to use that term in the process of our work, I
have invested a lot of time, money and energy in developing a
not-for-profit business around 'permaculture'.

The basis for starting a 'permaculture' business was my belief that
permaculture was a generic term. This may now be subject to trademark
infringement. It is extremely important that these questions be put
to and answered by Bill so that a great many people can adjust their
life plans accordingly.

Marcus