permaculture - Re: (fwd) Re: Grey Water

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob <rmhoward@omninet.net.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: (fwd) Re: Grey Water
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:26:05 +0800

Couple of thoughts on this thread

In W.A. Alcoa markets caustic red mud ( a by product of alumina production)
as a
highly efficient phosphate absorber.

Also the best way for biological systems to remove phosphate is through animal
production - i.e. fish as in chinese carp/paddy field systems.

In grey water reed bed systems I'd reckon that invertebrate production would
be worth
a go e.g yabbies/gilgies/snails etc. Although I wouldn't eat them but feed
them to
another animal (chooks may be).

Phosphates main biological uses are in ATP and in teeth (i.e. apatite) - so
hot
blooded animals with lots of teeth are ideal - I know - genetically
engineered sabre
toothed tigers :-)

Regards Bob