permaculture - Re: Lab-Lab

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob <rmhoward@omninet.net.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lab-Lab
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:41:02 +0800

Scott Pittman wrote:

> At 05:35 PM 10/27/00 -0200, you wrote:
>
> Hello Mike!
>
> When I planted soybeans, I lived in a tropical mountain
> region, near the
> Tropic of Capricorn but at 1,000m. altitude. Summers were
> quite hot, but
> we had three or four frosts in winter.
>
> The lab lab which is used here is local, and I confess that
> I donĀ“t know
> its Scientific name-- it is not sold in the stores but only
> traded through
> neighbors. .
>
> Marsha
>
> Scientific name is Lablab purpureus, also Lablab niger both edible and
> native of tropical Africa. There are a lot of cultivars.
>
> Scott

Hmm! that's interesting - I think lablab purpureus is growing as a
'weed' near me, in Albany W.A. (35S and on the coast)We expereince a
mediterranean type climate and it survives on the sout side(poleward) of
hills and in damper parts of the eucalypt woodland. Bur I'm wondering
whether it's been confused with something else - any comments on this
old thread.

Bob

  • Re: Lab-Lab, Bob, 02/12/2001