permaculture - deer fence

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture digest "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: deer fence
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:57:48 -0800

I was wondering if anyone has direct experience with the deer fence design
that uses two roughly 4-foot high fences about 4 feet apart running in
parallel. I've heard about these, the logic being that deer can jump high
but not wide, and can't fit between the two fences. Any design details would
be appreciated. Do they really work?

We have an area we need to enclose that is already surrounded by a 5-foot
fence, which our hordes of mule deer leap with ease. I'd rather not rip up
the fence and build an 8-foot one, which is the only bomb-proof way I've
found to deter deer. I've tried all the other methods: human hair and urine,
soap, predator scat, fishing line, repellent (washes off in our incessant
rain), prayer and pleading, etc, etc. The deer are hungry and ignore these.
So a fence seems necessary. Thanks in advance.

Toby