permaculture - Re: Flax/Linen, etc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mbgrey <mbgrey@mnp.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Flax/Linen, etc
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 03:03:53 -0500

I used flax in a children's' garden. The class made paper from the resulting
fiber. Many old time books explain the process. I believe one by Rita
Buchannan explains the process. They all say it smells bad, but 'smells bad'
doesn't come close to the overpowering odor of 'retting the flax.' It should
be wretching the flax. This is not something I would do again unless I had a
place far away from people and a way to escape.
I enjoy the ground seeds with yogurt. (seeds must be ground finely for those
with tendencies to divirticulitis, or IBS) I got the seeds from Johnny's.
Pretty little thing, Sow very closely so it doesn't lodge. I got about 15
pounds of seeds from a 4'X8' bed.

-- Marty Grey
Meadow Medicinals
11795 State Road 78