permaculture - re: purple carrots

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mikal Jakubal <mjakubal@asis.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: purple carrots
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:59:07 -0800

Hi all,
I'm gonna go look at the emus tomorrow, but in the meantime, the seeds from
the purple carrots that I grew out (from mature carrots I bought in the
store) have germinated. For those who don't remember, there was a short
thread about patented purple carrots--"Beta Sweet" in this
instance--wherein I said that I'd planted the ones I bought and would give
the seeds away when they were ready. I wanted to make sure they were viable
first. It now seems like they are, so anyone who wants some can send me a
self-addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you a little stash. My
address is: P.O.B. 5, Redway, CA 95560, USA. Be sure to let some go to seed
so you can keep spreading the seeds around to others for free.

Because they are a "new" variety, they may not reproduce particularly true.
But, give them a try and see what you get. I'm pretty sure they're a
product of classical breeding, not genetic engineering. This variety
supposedly is extra high in beta carotene and is especially sweet. I found
them bitter and better for planting than eating, but I'm also assuming that
was more a result of them being non-organic. OG carrots are always much
sweeter. If nothing else, they look real pretty when sliced on a plate.

I think the idea that all life is property to be patented is obscene, and
will do everything to subvert it--whether that involves dodging rubber
bullets at protests in Seattle and Los Angeles or giving away bootleg
seeds. Talk about "guerilla gardening"! Plant locally, subvert globally!
Since this message will be archived, I'm probably opening myself up to some
sort of legal action. Any gene cop who does a "Beta Sweet" search will find
this message and its blatant announcement of intellectual property theft,
or whatever they call it. So, nature police, go ahead--sue me! Nuthin'
better than a good fight to liven up the day! I can hear the slogans
outside the courthouse now: "Whose carrots? Our carrots!"

Mikal