permaculture - Re: protecting wooden poles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Guy Brouk <BROUKG@unhcr.ch>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: protecting wooden poles
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:55:32 +0100

Thanks everyone for suggestions on poles. Sorry if I didn't specify
'tropical' -Rwanda is the place- although the question was general.

Tropical wood here can now only be found in embassy furniture ;
bamboo is an interesting suggestion I'll try out. 'Local' trees are now from
'down under' -mainly Gum.

I'll try the charring and the local solution -waste engine oil...- on a small
scale to get some impact data. Problem is that we have lots of waste oil
so that using it looks quite 'cost-efficient'. But a few thousand oily poles
on a few hectares of land doesn't appear an attractive solution...

Cheers. Guy

Have you tried bamboo?

jwirwin@permaculture.net
leave-permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu