permaculture - RE: Grapevines in pots

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "askpv" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Grapevines in pots
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:31:14 +1100

at a lecture i attended Mollison said he noted Italian grapes growing in aggregate, not soil.
in moist areas i would go for that or at least a really grainy soil, and pots also drain fast.
i would ensure the pots were huge and received daily water.  i have a small area for my best grapes
that gets the run off from a roofed area.
the other advantage of a quick draining medium is reduction of fungal spores around the grapes.
if the grapes were yellowing or slow to start, I would ensure the pots got plenty of fertilizer from duck manure or worm farm castings.
The type of pot i would suggest could be cement as it is alkaline and the disadvantage of wooden pots is they don't handle moisture for
as long as the grapes are alive.
Mat i ask, Why are you choosing pots?
is it to fit with an insecure land-use, which is understandable. their are alternative choices.  start you grapes in the pots and each year take cuttings to make up
new pots. if you are still there in 3 or 4 years, let the mature grape grow into the soil.  [my sugar cane simply split the large plastic pot it was in and made the
decision for me.]  This is naturally achieved by the use of wooden pots. there is minimal root disturbance and your grape may be a treasure for the next
land owner rather than being stunted by the pot.

April
Permaculture Visions International.