permaculture - Sare grant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: WSM311@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Sare grant
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 17:44:47 EST

OK....I'm done with the word document that is the basis for my SARE grant in
agroforestry. Would anyone like to read it and tell me what you think? Is it
clear? Do you understand what I'm doing? What do you think? I'm sending an
attachment, but Email me privately for a copy if this doesn't work. I REALLY,
REALLY APPRECIATE THIS!! ;-)

COVER LETTER/ INTRODUCTION

***Bill Mollison described Permaculture as much more than a system of food
production, it has become a system of categorizing the whole of human
knowledge so that essential, relevant facts are readily available to us
whenever we need them, much like stepping into a spacious, very efficiently
organized walk-in closet with all of the garments one needs within an arm's
reach. The information n included in this vessel of human knowledge is taken
from both indigenous cultures, as well as from western academia. The
principle requirement for including information in this "wardrobe" is that it
assist us in creating sustainable human settlements.

Sustainability can be looked at as a simple energy equation or it can be
measured by the social consequences of our actions. If a site generates more
energy over time (in the form of trees, produce, animals, fuel, etc. ) than
was required to create that site, then it is sustainable. Just ask, "Is this
site a net importer of energy? Does this site generate more waste than useful
products?" If the answer is yes to either of these questions, then the site
is not yet operating sustainably - we are taking more than we are putting
back, throwing away more than we are putting to use. On a social scale, if we
can meet our needs without jeopardizing the ability of future generations to
meet their needs then we are behaving sustainably. If we leave our children a
degraded landscape and a hostile society then we are merely contributing to a
self-destructive culture.

http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/whatitis.html    ****

I am officially disabled and part of Rural Farm and Family Voc Rehab. There
are many other farmers in the same boat as me.... we have land and enthusiasm
but limited physical resources. There needs to be a way for us to stay
productive doing the things we love...but with a twist ;-)

For 11 years I ran Peace and Carrots Farm CSA. I have mixed connective tissue
disease (MCTD) which includes problems like lupus, arthritis, fevers and lots
of aches and pains. For the 2001 growing season, I have given the daily
workings of the farm over to a very nice, young couple who are enthusiastic
and supple! I will be their mentor, but they will do the work ;-)

This change has lead me to apply for a SARE grant. I want to keep active and
find new ways to use my brain and body to keep a productive farm going here.
I am very, very excited about this project and have already started.

Wendy   (wsm311@aol.com)
Peace and Carrots Farm
Vermont
http://www.homestead.com/peaceandcarrots/