permaculture - Re: Bind weed on allotment....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: donahuer@ols.net (Randy )
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bind weed on allotment....
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:19:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hello again--

I have grown several crops successfully on bindweed
infested soil. The corn I brought in this year off of a really bad patch was
well worth it. The key is just to keep at it. The half I neglected was
overgrown,and the ears of corn took only a few minutes to pull off the
remaining vertical stalks. The other half(which was weeded "bare" to the
corn every two weeks) had only minor problems on its edges. The question to
ask yourself,"How much time do I have to devote to this?"
Try growing sunflowers. They have a powerful
inhibiting effect on weeds. Don't just let your soil rest if you plan to get
rid of the bindweed. Disturbances will allow you to get rid of young
bindweeds as they push up through the soil. Be persistant!

--Donahuer@ols.net