permaculture - Re: Bind weed on allotment....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@email-me.at>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bind weed on allotment....
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:56:01 +0200

> If you *have* to use herbicides, an application technique I've heard of
> (but never felt desperate enough to try) is to dab it with cotton swabs on
> the cut ends of the plants. Supposedly, the plant will carry it to the
> roots and die. Requires much less poison for greater effect.

i have read that one can kill an entire clump (or grove, for runners) of
bamboo by dipping one of its leaves into a cup of rundup - while bindweed
certainly is tougher than boo it sure supports the abovementioned technique.

btw, if you want to apply the "pull pull pull" technique next year rather
than the "nuke it" approach, it might help to cover all parts of the soul
that do not grow desirable things with black plastik - sure wont kill the
bindweed, but then you do not have to be there every 3 days, for it grows
and grows under the tarpoline but stays all white and cant assimilate - and
then you can pull it every other week or so. the few guys that are outside
of tarped areas still wont be able to sufficiently feed the whole thing.

also, have you tried talking to it? while you give it a hard time, keep
pointing out to the plant that there are heaps of other gardens around, and
that it should go live there - which is actually possible for a deeprooting
rhizomatous plant like this, it can actually move to greener grounds.

happy weeding
georg