permaculture - RE: Bind weed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mike Skinner (Easy Hay)" <EasyHay@arn.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Bind weed
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:52:57 -0500

Talking Bindweed:

     I’m a farmer in the Texas panhandle and most dryland has

bindweed here. It seems to be a loosing battle, but it’s

somewhat possible to live with it. Here are the approaches:

1.)     24D and Roundup will burn it down enough to keep from plugging up equipment

2.)               Keeping it from getting any sunlight via plowing every 15 days

3.)               Heavy sheep pressure

4.)               Sterilize the ground

5.)               The USDA in Bushland, Texas is experimenting with a mite.

6.)               Change your way of thinking; “bindweed is not the problem, farmers are.”

In exasperaton, I’ve tried to figure what niche bindweed was filling. To me it seems,

that being deep-rooted, it is breaking the hard pan, bringing up nutrients, as well

as keeping the ground from blowing as a result of “clean farming” or heavy grazing.

So, by my thinking, if we stopped making hard pan, possibly deep ripped, return

tilth, (like green manure Austrian Winter Peas), and leave cover on the ground, we

might help Mother Nature, the same way bindweed does.

Supposedly, the tea from bindweed has anti-cancer properties, but it’s hard to eat all the weeds!

Mike Skinner